Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Welcome to the Grady at Oxford Blog

As I was thinking about best ways to communicate as we lead up to class and during our summer together in Oxford, I decided a weblog would be just the thing. Each of you will be able to view, read, and post material. Also, if you'd like family or friends to be able to read the blog, you can provide me with their e-mail addresses and I'll invite them as read-only members of our blog community. The blog should do several things for us.

1. We can communicate about class issues. For example, here I can give you information about where our textbook is available. The book for our seminar is titled "Fundamentals of Media Effects" and was written in 2001 by Jennings Bryant and Susan Thompson. It will be available at Blackwell's Bookshop in Oxford (http://bookshop.blackwell.co.uk/jsp/bobuk_editorial/services/shops/SHOP52.jsp). Shortly after your arrival in Oxford, you can wander over to Blackwell's to pick up your book.

2. We can discuss ideas that are raised in class and through our excursions (more about those later).

3. We can offer each other tips about good shopping, restaurants, pubs, walks, entertainment, short trips and more. We can also use this cite to share observations about our living in Oxford and traveling in England and perhaps beyond.

4. We can post pictures and video to show a bit about where we are and what we're learning.

I hope by now you agree that a Grady at Oxford blog will serve many purposes.

I'm looking forward to our time together -- only 24 days until we leave!

1 comment:

Michele Jarvis said...

I am meeting the group flight at the airport in london on the 29. I am backpacking before with my sister for two weeks. Would anyone be willing to check my bag in atlanta with the group flight and I would pick it up at baggage claim in london. I will pay whatever the extra cost for additional baggage is and my parents will bring the bag to the airport. Someone please help me out so i dont have to pay the price to ship it internationally. My email is Mjarvis@uga.edu or facebook or respond back on this blog.
thanks,
Michele Jarvis