Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Continuing the Countdown

Because I taught a graduate PR management class during Maymester, I am only now able to really turn my attention to our course. I'm getting excited about what we're going to be studying, and I hope you will be, too.

Social effects of mass media surround us. We see these effects on a daily basis, perhaps most recently with the political effects of mass demonstrations and their news coverage in Seoul, South Korea. Koreans are filling the streets with candles lit. They are protesting the import of U.S. beef (among other things). The effect of the demonstrations and their coverage has been that South Korean cabinet ministers have offered to resign their posts. A pretty dramatic social effect! As you prepare for your time at Oxford, please pay attention to how you see mass media having an impact on society. Your examples will provide great discussion fodder.

Well, I better get back to reading and preparation. June 28 is approaching fast!

No comments: